Sunday, May 07, 2006

White Rabbit - best damned candy in the world



Outside of chocolate, I'm not a big fan of candy. Hard candy, in particular, is not very appealing to me. Those red and white peppermint hard candies you find at restaurants? Cannot stand them. Caramels? Creates a strange, bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

That was until a friend introduced me to White Rabbits. It's this taffy-like candy from China. Apparently, it's been made there for years and is well known there - kind of like M&Ms in the U.S.

Anyway, it comes individually wrapped - about the same size as the individually wrapped Tootsie Rolls. The exterior is wrapped in wax paper with the White Rabbit logo on it. Each candy is wrapped in a thin piece of rice paper - if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was a piece of waxed paper. Actually, it's rice paper and very edible - in fact, someone from Taiwan told me you eat the rice paper to make the candy chewier faster.

The original White Rabbit is basically a cream flavored Tootsie Roll - kind of. A bit chewier and definitely longer lasting. And DAMNED ADDICTING.

Someone gave me a bag of mango flavored White Rabbits last week - didn't think I'd ever say this but I think the mango flavored White Rabbits taste better than the original flavor.


P.S. I found the following "review" of White Rabbits on Amazon:

Larruping, September 5, 2004

  • "WHITE RABBIT" is one of the most famous brands of Guan Sheng Yuan (Group) Co.,ltd.and belongs to candy product. This product is very larruping that the candy's surface swathe a very very thin velamen made from sticky rice and it can eat.People always are interesting in the sticky rice velamen.This product's sales volume is very hot in USA(Kmart,Walgmart)."
  • Was this review helpful to you?

My answer to the question above is a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No comments: